Leave Won Because It Has a Better Story
Leave’s story is as follows:
- Your life sucks and you do not have a job, or a good job.
- There are a lot of immigrants. They have jobs and many of them have good jobs.
- If there were less immigrants, you’d have those jobs.
Leave’s story is coherent. It has defined the problem and proposed a solution. The solution won’t work, but Leave says, “We got a problem, and we can fix it, and your life will be better.”
Remain’s story is this:
- Your life is as good as it’s going to get.
- Leaving won’t help, it will make your life even worse.
- Your life will continue to get worse, regardless of whether you leave. “Remaining” will simply slow down the process of your life getting worse.
Now, Remain’s story is true. “Life is a shit sandwich, but you don’t want to eat a bigger shit sandwich sooner than is absolutely necessary.”
That narrative is not going to win against a lie which says: “We can make your life not a shit sandwich”.
Until the sort of people who supported Remain have an argument for how the 50 percent of Britons whose lives suck under the current economic and political regime can have good lives–not lives that just get shitty at a slower pace–they will continue to lose the people whose lives are “Here, eat this shit sandwich and say ‘Thank you, EU, for making this shit sandwich slightly smaller than it would be otherwise.'”
People will accept a lie over a truth that requires their lives to be a shit sandwich.
If you refuse to offer them a way out, do not be surprised if, like a wolf caught in a trap, they will even gnaw their own legs off to try and escape.
Oh, and your legs.
If you enjoyed this article, and want me to write more, please DONATE or SUBSCRIBE.